How to create a happier you in 2015
It’s a new year and you’re ready to change your life, and become a new you. Here are just a few ideas to help you get on the road to becoming the person you were always meant to be. Live big, 2015 can be your year.
- Cut out all the toxic people in your life: Probably the most important thing to do, to revitalize your life. Toxic people waste your time and suck your energy. If someone in your life is draining, never has a nice thing to say about anyone, or you are always finding yourself contacting them and they never contact you … it maybe time to cut the ties. This is your life, cut the toxic people out and rebuild it the way you want it to be. 2015 is your year, take hold and watch it flourish.
- Drop your phone and start living in the now: I want to scream when I see all these people with their phones up, watching the world go by. Phones are important, I love my iPhone and live with it just like you do, but I know when to put it away and enjoy my life. If you find yourself at a social event and instead of watching it, or talking with the people around you … you’re on your phone … then it’s time to put it away. Put it in your pocket and look at the world around you. Notice the people, the things happening near you … this is your life, be a part of it … not a spectator.
- Start a bucket list: This is huge. Call it what you will, but creating a bucket list will give yourself something to look forward to. An exciting goal that you have always wanted to do, or maybe a place you have always wanted to visit. Make that list and make it happen. This is your life, what are you waiting for?
- Mind your words: Words have power. Whether you’re thinking them or saying them, they change who you are. Be aware of your thoughts and when that little voice goes negative—STOP IT and make it positive. You control your thoughts and feelings. Start working on changing it today, so you can use it as a positive tool for the new you, not something that makes you feel negative about yourself. Also, be careful what comes out of of your mouth. My mom used to tell me to never judge or talk poorly about others. It’s so true, stay positive, look for the good in people and refuse to lower yourself to other people’s catty ways.
- Think positive, be grateful: Everyday take a moment to think about all the positive and wonderful things you have in your life. Then feel the gratitude for them. It’s the like the old adage: “If you woke up tomorrow with only the things you were thankful for the day before, what you would wake up too.” Time to start thanking whomever you believe in for all your blessings, need it be God, the Universe or the Flying Spaghetti Monster … you need to be thankful. Putting that out to the Universe will bring positive back to you, it’s that simple.
- Get out of your comfort zone: This is your year, grab hold of it and get out there and try new things. You want to be a new you, getting out of your comfort zone is a great way to begin. Have a friend suggest things to do, join meetup or sites that promote outings, get a bicycle and discover the cool areas around you. Do anything, anything different that you wouldn’t normally do. You are amazing, get out there and show the world.
- Eat Healthy: Cut out the processed food, remove the GMO’s and start eating real food, not food full of chemicals and preservatives. If you are what you eat then what would you be? I hope not a Taco Bell burrito. Remove the sugars and white grains, bring in foods that will feed your body, mind and soul. The first week is always tough, but after that you will feel amazing and be able to better embrace the new you.
- Drop all those excuses: Excuses are for losers and you are not a loser. You are amazing, talented and fascinating. You don’t need excuses for anything on this list … you just need to do it. Go out, meet people, make friends, try new things and drop all the excuses you’ve always had. I’m not smart enough, not pretty enough, not thin enough … I know the list, I used to try to hide behind excuses too. They get you nowhere, just depressed and lonely. Drop them now, step up and live the life you were meant to.
- Get in the sunshine: Doctors recommend that we get out into the sunshine without sunblock for 5 to 15 minutes at least three times a week in spring and summer. That doesn’t seem like too much, right? When was the last time you were in the sunshine that long? Sun does so many amazing things for our bodies. It cheers you up, reduces heart disease, helps with aches and pains, increases fertility … the list goes on and on. So get out there and enjoy a little sun.
- Meet new people: Whether looking for a new romantic interest or maybe new friends, getting out and meeting new people is critical for the new you. Join a class, start a club, get on Meet-Up and join a group. However you want to do it, just do it. You need to meet new people and replace those old, funky, toxic ones you just removed from your inner bubble of friends.
And most importantly, always remember this is your life, not a dress rehearsal, so make the most of it.