- He Just Came Out to Me, Now What?
- Giving the Gift of “No”
- I Blinked and Became One of Them!
- Lawd, Have Mercy, the Kids are Divorcing
- Are You Too Busy to Visit a Friend?
- What We Can Learn from those Aggravating Ants
- If You Don’t Have One, Go Out and Get One!
- Betrayal, Unforgiveness and You
- “You… Sooo SKINNY!”
- Racism: The Conversation that is No Longer Optional
- The Lost Art of Oral History
- Where Did All My Money Go?
- Getting Back Into the Dating Game
- Parenting Adult Children. Not.
- Asking for HELP
- The Legacy of the Recipe
- A Gift for Your Family
- The Benefits of Traveling with Your Grandchildren
- Finding the Right Travel Partner
When I was much younger, I would go and visit homes of older family friends.
I used to marvel at the amount of “junk” on their nightstands and in their bathrooms.
What was that big old fat rubber thing with the funny looking hose attached that hung behind the bathroom door?
I would see a container of Epsom salts in the bathroom with a couple of hot water bottles.
I saw false teeth containers with some packages of bubbly stuff next to them.
I saw Vicks Vapor Rub and liniment.
On the nightstands were pill bottles, Kleenex, water, cough drops, reading glasses and a magnifying glass.
I thought it was so funny that these old people needed all of this stuff just to make it through the day and night.
I would shake my head and quietly say, “Bless their little old hearts.”
Well…then I hit 65 and guess what?
All that stuff I used to say about those nice little old people now hits close to home.
As I peruse my nightstand, I see; a bottle of water, cough drops, reading glasses, the remote control to my fan, a container of Extra Strength Tylenol, Tums, a topical gel to sooth the arthritis in my right hand, Kleenex, blood pressure cuff, Solanpas patches, a can of mixed nuts, and the remote control to the TV
An ergonomic pillow and knee brace are propped up next to the night stand.
Sigh…I blinked … and I have now become one of them!!
Stop laughing…you have become one of them too!!!