- He Just Came Out to Me, Now What?
- Giving the Gift of “No”
- I Blinked and Became One of Them!
- Lawd, Have Mercy, the Kids are Divorcing
- Are You Too Busy to Visit a Friend?
- What We Can Learn from those Aggravating Ants
- If You Don’t Have One, Go Out and Get One!
- Betrayal, Unforgiveness and You
- “You… Sooo SKINNY!”
- Racism: The Conversation that is No Longer Optional
- The Lost Art of Oral History
- Where Did All My Money Go?
- Getting Back Into the Dating Game
- Parenting Adult Children. Not.
- Asking for HELP
- The Legacy of the Recipe
- A Gift for Your Family
- The Benefits of Traveling with Your Grandchildren
- Finding the Right Travel Partner
Young people today have more complicated issues and concerns then, we who are 50+ had to grapple with.
My biggest concern was wondering if I would be able to get a poodle skirt and a pair of black and white saddle oxfords.
Today, many young people are struggling with how to define their sexuality. It was pretty cut and dry for us in Iowa in the 60’s. If there were other ways to identify yourself, they were NEVER discussed. This is simply not the case today.
With the growing awareness of the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer) community, young people can define themselves more honestly.
Now before you get caught up in your pajamas, I am not an expert on the LGBTQ community. However, I do have a young relative who is very close to me and confided in me that he is gay. I could have responded in a variety of ways, however, I threw my arms around him and asked him if he thought it made any difference to me.
He smiled and said “no.”
I have tried to keep the lines of communication open with him and have even introduced him to others with whom he could have an active dialogue. The results have been great. He is very comfortable talking about his identification. He is fortunate in that he has a very strong support network. Sadly, this is not the case with so many other LGBTQ young people.
I know that he is walking a unique path in life, but he will do so with a legion of support.